11 toukokuuta, 2014

Johanna Sinisalo: Ennen päivänlaskua ei voi

Ennen päivänlaskua ei voi (2000)
Johanna Sinisalo
Tammi, 2008
268 sivua


Finlandia-voittaja 2000
Kirjastosta
GR: 4/5 tähteä
★★★½

This song kept playing in my head while reading this novel. It's not surprising because the Finnish title and the names of the chapters were taken from it. I don't usually read speculative fiction, this was probably my first as an adult, but I might read some more after this, though it didn't make me a fan. (I don't read contemporary fiction that often, either.)

It was a weird little book, very Finnish because it relied so much on old Finnish folklore and classic novels. The author did use some unfamiliar words that made me wonder had she made them up or are they used in another dialect I don't know. The "research" chapters were sometimes a bit too long and not very interesting, also some technical talk made it sound a bit dated but they were minor things. All in all, a good novel and certainly something different, well worth a read.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti

Kommentti ilahduttaa aina

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...